People explore different things to be able to lose weight and achieve the body they have been wishing to have. Weight loss is a tricky thing and when it does not come as easily as one would hope for, they will begin to seek drastic methods. The many different diet programs were designed in an effort to cut things short and make things happen, when things do not seem to work out.
Of these many diet programs, the liquid diet plan is an example; as the name suggests, it is a diet that is consist only of liquid substances and its effectiveness and safety remain controversial.
Liquid Diets for Weight Loss
A liquid diet plan is not just a weight loss answer because it is commonly prescribed before surgery. It is also prescribed to people who wish to cleanse and remove toxins from the body such as the colon so that disease may be prevented.
When you speak of liquid diets for weight loss, you are talking of diets where you only take in fruit juice without pulp, broth, ice pops, tea, water and gelatin. Those who have gone through it, have different things to say about it – unfortunately, while some of it is good, some of it is bad too, so some care should be taken.
- Rapid weight loss – Going on a liquid diet is going to help achieve initial weight loss. In fact, just going on this diet for a few days can lead to rapid weight loss – one that you cannot achieve with any other diet. Liquid diets are very low in calorie-intake so making a drastic switch from high calorie-diets to very low can really take the extra weight off.
- Colon cleansing – If you are looking to clean and rid the colon of toxins and wastes, a liquid diet for weight loss is going to do a good thing. Within the colon you can build-up sludge and mucus which is a good magnet for toxins. The diet should help flush out the toxins from the colon, as long as it is carried out long enough.
- Insufficient nutrient content – The most significant disadvantage of going on a liquid diet is that you do not get the right amount of nutrients that your body needs. They will lack the macronutrients fat, protein and carbohydrates that the body needs so while it may be good for certain things and for a short period of time, it should not be something you do for a long time.
- Insufficient supporting evidence – To date, there is still very little evidence to support liquid diets for weight loss. That it is effective, it cannot be argued, but that it is safe there is no guarantee.
- Side effects – When one makes a decision to go on a liquid diet, he should be prepared for the many side effects which include dehydration, nausea, dizziness and fatigue. Understand that dieting can be done healthily and one that endangers you should not be worth the trip.
No matter what weight loss goal you have in mind, it should always be your goal to achieve it safely. Safe weight loss is one that reaches goals without bringing harm to the individual. It is a diet plan that helps shake off excess weight without bringing about illnesses or side effects in the future. Always it should be your goal to be safe because what good is it to have a good body when you become ill because of it.