People who are on a strict diet watch the food they eat. The food taken in is regulated because it translates to the body and can hamper weight loss goals. Carbohydrates are among the substance heavily regulated when people are on a diet. Dieters are afraid of carbs because they are known to make people fat—but what is it that people say about carbohydrates being important for weight loss?
The truth about carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are sugars and they are known culprits for excessive weight gain. Resistant starch is a separate thing altogether because it is the healthier kind of carbohydrate controls stress, keeps you full for longer, helps you burn more calories, lowers cholesterol and gives more energy.
Carbohydrates should and cannot be taken out of one’s diet, even for those trying to cut down. As a matter of fact, it should be well part of everyone’s diet plans because of the following reasons:
- The more carbs you eat, the more weight you lose – Studies reveal that people who eat as much as 60% of carbohydrates are much slimmer compared to those who maintain low-carb diets, who appear more chunky or chubby. When carbohydrates are cut considerably low, one gets lower than what is needed and may even compensate with other substances. More so, maintaining a very low caloric intake can lower metabolism and explain unwanted weight gain.
- Carbs keep you satiated for longer – When trying to lose weight, it is important that appetite is properly controlled and hunger is kept at bay. Carbs can keep a person full for longer compared to other foods substance. The intake of enough carbohydrates will give the sensation of fullness and satisfaction that cravings are properly controlled.
- It controls blood sugar – The glycemic index reflects the level of blood sugar brought about by the intake of certain foods. A diabetic person needs carbohydrates to raise blood sugar and control insulin levels. When there is a good control of carb-intake, these levels may be controlled enough so that hunger and appetite is regulated. Typically, one is expected to consume foods which will give them a lower glycemic index such as brown rice, bran cereal, whole wheat pasta, steel cut oats and green leafy vegetables.
- Carbs increase metabolic rate – Metabolism gradually lowers when one ages. Carbohydrates that are rich in resistant starch can boost metabolism by stimulating the body’s natural fat burner mechanism. Resistant starch is a good source of healthy fatty acids that can target stores and get rid of it.
- Carbs can curb hunger and cravings – Cravings are very bad for dieting because they ruin everything and they are very hard to thwart, even for the most disciplined. When a good amount of carbs are taken in, especially resistant starch which is high in fiber, hunger is controlled.
- Carbs make you feel good – This is very easy to understand because if there is one thing about carbohydrates that everyone knows about it is satisfying and just enjoyable to be had. People have stayed away from carbs because they are known to be related to weight gain but when one begins to actually lose weight from eating carbs, it can be very satisfying. It means that weight is lost without having to suffer too much and that is always a good thing.
- There is such a thing as fat-burning carbs – While there are carbohydrates that people have to stay away from, there are a certain group of carbohydrates that will promote weight loss and these are the fat-burning carbohydrates: bananas, oatmeal, white beans, lentils, potatoes and plaintains.
Contrary to what many people think about carbohydrates, this article prove that the careful and responsible intake of the right kind of carbs can be beneficial to the body and helpful for weight loss.