When trying to lose weight and slim down, food choice is going to be very important because the food-intake affects weight loss and weight gain. Protein is a very significant in these cases because it is a macronutrient made up of amino acids, which is used by the body for growth and development.
How much protein is enough?
The RDI or recommended daily intake of protein is set at 46 grams a day for women and 56 grams for men. It is essential that the right levels are observed because any excess of protein causes strain on the liver; at the same time, deficient levels of protein lead to impaired body functioning and muscle atrophy.
A diet of 30% protein is considered reasonable at this time and levels of 50% or higher may be labelled “high protein diet”. Some people substitute some carbohydrates for protein, but it is best to do this with enough exercise and to increase intake following a gradual course throughout the week to provide enough conditioning that does not overwhelm the body.
High protein diets are good for body builders. Protein is valuable because they are the building blocks of cells and when body builders are hoping to gain some bulk, they can plan a protein-rich diet without exceeding the 200 gram ceiling.
High protein foods and snacks
- Turkey – Turkey breasts and chicken breasts are very high in protein. A half-breast turkey at 92g can provide as much as 30 grams of protein and 4.5 calories per gram; meanwhile, chicken breast at 58g provides as much as 17 grams of protein. Chicken and turkey may be enjoyed on its own, lightly seasoned or may be enjoyed as a sandwiched or with pasta sauce for more flavour.
- Fish – Fish is also very high in protein content. Among the highest are tuna, salmon and halibut, giving about 22 grams of protein for a 26g fillet. It is easy to cook fish and it goes well with most dishes, so it could be paired with other foods in a given meal.
- Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is a good alternative to sour cream and mayonnaise. It may be used in soups, breads, salads and smoothies. A 24-g cup of Greek yogurt contains about 18 grams of protein. It is healthy and not loaded with carbohydrates compared to sour cream and mayonnaise, but is equally tasty.
- Hemp Seeds Not only are hemp seeds high in protein, they are also good sources of omega 3 fatty acids which are healthy and oozing of weight loss capabilities. Hemp may be enjoyed in a salad or may be included in other dishes for added crunch and texture.
- Cheese – Cheese may not sound so healthy and good for weight loss, but the right type of cheese can be very helpful. Low-fat cheeses such as mozzarella and cottage cheese are very healthy and good for weight loss. About slice of cheese at 9g contains as much as 32 grams of protein and only 4.8 calories per gram.
- Edamame – Edamame is not only beautiful to look at, they are also rich in carbohydrates, unsaturated fat and protein. Every cup of edamame is worth as much as 8 grams o protein; it may be enjoyed in a pre-cooked frozen version or may be eaten straight from the pod – it makes a pretty good healthy snack.
- Tofu – A single slice of tofu at 6g contains as much as 7 grams of protein. Tofu rather tasteless but can be combined with various dishes. It is good fried and paired with a dipping sauce; or may be enjoyed with fish, vegetables, salad and meat dishes.
- Eggs – Eggs are not only low in calorie, but also rich in protein. One large egg at 6g contains as much as 13 grams of protein. The yolk is a little high in cholesterol, so it is taken in perfect regulation, but the egg whites are completely safe to enjoy and may be combined with various dishes.
- Quinoa – This grain is a protein-rich substance which is also a good source of carbohydrates, Vitamin B and fiber. A cup of cooked quinoa is consist of 8 grams of protein and is really very good to enjoy with cereals, oatmeal and other dishes.
In weight loss (if you are still not slimming down, check out our article on the reasons why you are unable to slim down), protein a very important substance which keeps the individual satiated for longer compared to other substances so appetite and hunger is better controlled.