How do you travel to work? To those who live rather far, transportation is a must, whether it is public or private not only for comfort, but also for safety. To those who live quite near from work, more options are provided: by public transportation, by car, by bicycle, by motorcycle or by foot.
Walking to work may not seem too appealing to many, but it is not an impossibility, especially once you are given the chance to truly appreciate its benefits.
Our society has been brought to be dependent on modern transportation that many neglect that some form of exercise and fitness is good for the body. Let’s take a look.
- Reduced risk of developing medical diseases – Many studies reveal that the simple choice of walking to work, provides truly good medical benefits to the individual. For instance, people who walk to work are 40% less likely to develop diabetes, compared to those who drive. Also, people who choose to walk are 17% less likely to suffer from high blood pressure and heart attacks.
- Reduced risk of being overweight – Walking is a good enough exercise, especially when it is done daily. People who walk to work (and travel via public transport or bicycle) are found to be more fit compared to those who drive comfortably in their cars. Do you know that you can burn as much as 360 calories per day just by walking 30 minutes to and from work? That is a good enough exercise on a treadmill that you can enjoy without going to the gym.
- Reduced transportation cost – When you choose to walk to work, you can also save on transportation. If you own a private vehicle, you save on gasoline; if you are using commuting to work, you save on commuting expenses that can be quite high sometimes.
- Better overall mood and disposition – Exercise releases endorphins that will make you feel good. When you make time to walk to work, you are giving yourself regular exercise that will release endorphins and will make your mood more positive. Because of this, you will feel less stressed.
- Appreciate your surroundings even more – There is so much that you fail to see when you are in a hurry. When driving or inside the public transport, your view and experience of the surroundings is quite limited. When you choose to walk to work, you will be able to see more of your surroundings, get more acquainted with the place.
- You save the environment -. The fumes released by automobiles are very poisonous to the environment. Mother Earth has already suffered much, so every little thing you can do to save it is good enough. When you walk, you save the atmosphere from further exposure and you save your home.
Walking to work can mean so many things. You could completely work to and from work, or walk one way. You can also walk a portion or you can choose to walk up and down the stairs. Given the many benefits discussed above, embracing the whole idea becomes more enticing… so why not do some walking to work.