Obesity and overweight are issues which have gained prominence with the changing lifestyle of people today. The irregular work patterns and erratic meal and sleep timings are major contributors towards the unhealthy portion of the society.
People are too busy and too focused on getting their professional lives on track that they start taking health for granted. This leads to intake of unhealthy food to become a major group of intake in a person’s routine.
Also, time limitations result in lack of regular exercise and relaxation to give both; body and mind; some breathing space and time to recover.
Obesity and overweight problems
Obesity is a condition when an individual has a body mass index of much over the limit of the normal range as per their body proportions. This is a cause for extreme concern as it is prominent benefactor to increase the chances of an individual to suffer from various diseases
In some cases it takes a lot of research to understand why an individual gain excessive weight suddenly while in others it becomes evident from food patterns or family history. The reasons are important to know so as to understand and help other individuals to deal with the problems of obesity and being overweight.
Significant consequences of obesity and overweight
The most prominent consequences are:
- Self-consciousness – Individuals who tend to be overweight or obese are conscious about their appearance and tend isolate themselves from the society. It is also seen that they develop self-esteem issues and might go into depression.
- Reaction from society – It also does not help that society gives a different kind of response to them than from the normal population. Obese and overweight people are usually seen to be at the receiving end of misbehavior and jokes mostly regarding their weight and appearance.
- Health issues – Obesity is one of the important factor when considering the risks of chronic diseases such as diabetes, blood pressure, heart conditions, etc. It becomes even more critical if individuals have a familial history of such diseases.
- Cancer – It has been recently confirmed by many research studies that obese and overweight individuals, are at much more higher risk of suffering from cancer than the rest of the population. Cancer is a disease for which a cure has yet to be discovered though there are symptomatic treatment. Hence, it is of critical importance to reduce the risk of contracting to minimum rather than enhancing them.
Why do people become overweight
There are a few common patterns which have been seen in individuals to become overweight and obese. They are usually related to major events in life when the individuals are at their lowest in regards to self-preservation. One of the examples of such trends is the ending of a long standing affair in a person’s life. It is an event when the involved parties are hurt and look for ways to cope with their emotions.
It has been seen over-eating and indulging in food groups such as chocolates and sweets tend to work as good coping mechanism. Also, it has been concluded in research by psychologists, that overeating helps to ward of depression for some people while for other it help to deal with emotions of betrayal and hurt when dealing certain situations.
There are also people who get involved in excessive eating or in unhealthy food habits to deal with stress in life. There can be numerous reasons for people getting overweight but mostly an individual’s choices are what lead to the result. There are a few exceptions when the person suffering is not entirely responsible for their condition but there are other factors which contribute towards it.
Some of these factors are production of fat instead of energy on consumption of food due to certain body metabolism, hereditary weight issues and genetic reasons. In these cases, individuals have little to no choice but to take extreme measures to keep healthy which is quite difficult for a normal working class person.
Weight Loss process
After the discussion on the consequences of being obese and overweight, there is no doubt about that weight loss is crucial to them. It is important to know one’s body well before attempting weight loss. There are a few general and acceptable rules to weight loss which are:
- The process should be gradual and not instantaneous.
- The body has to accept it or else there might be more damage than good.
- The process should be prepared in a way that can be followed with an individual’s regular routine of work and other commitments.
- It should be begin with moderate changes so that body has time to adjust before taking extreme measures as it might do untold harm if taken suddenly to extremes.
There are different ways to lose weight such as meal plans, physical exercise, combination of dietary plans and exercise and medical procedures like liposuction in extreme cases. Below are five dietary plans with extremely successful results and it does not involve getting starved.
5 meal plans for weight loss
- No-carbs plan for 2 weeks – This plan (also check out the post on “How do Carbs Help in Weight Loss“) includes a diet with no carbohydrates group of food for two weeks in the patient. Food with carbohydrates are the likes of bread and potatoes. The diet plan is set in a way that there is an intake of 1600 and 2000 calories a day as required by an adult female and male respectively. It includes the intake of soups, salads and proteins spreading over the day for five meals. It focuses on distributing the intake of meals at regular intervals with no single heavy meal in the day. The plan has seen excellent results for patients with a weight loss of up to five kilograms when strictly followed. The plan can be repeated intermittently with a gap of one week in between for the body to get adjusted.
- Low-salt plan for 7 days – In this plan, the focus is on the salt intake by an individual in a day. In the 7 day diet plan, the patient has a well described food chart according which they have their meals. The first day of the diet involves bowl of boiled vegetables of different kinds for intake three times a day with a pinch of salt. The second day, only fruits are eaten for the whole day followed by soups on the third day with restrictions to only lentil ones. The fourth day includes a combination of salads and fruits but with no salt in the salads. On the fifth day, patient has protein such as white meat as soup or boiled but no salt or oil to be added while the sixth day, the meals are a combination of boiled vegetables, soups and meat or fish prepared with pinch of salt. The final day of the diet allows the patient to eat normal food comprising of salads, boiled vegetables, fruits and protein preparations across five small meals but with only a pinch of salt. The plan works best for those patients with high blood pressure or are at higher risk of suffering from it. The results are satisfactory to most patients and can be repeated after three weeks recovery period and continued till it becomes the regular eating pattern.
- Diet with raw products – This plan aims at the crowd who do not have time for proper meals and eat unhealthy food on the go. They are always busy and do not have the inclination or time to sit down and have meals. Thus, this plan gives them the chance to swap the unhealthy sandwiches and burgers with raw vegetable salads like Caesar salad and fruits. The diet plan includes a lot raw vegetables which provides the necessary nutrients and roughage needed in a daily diet and fruits provide the minerals and vitamins. They keep the patient full and active while cutting off on the unwanted grease and calories. The patients who have tried this plan gave the feedback that they felt lighter, more active and lively.
- Liquid diet for 3 days – This diet plan involves the patient to have liquid supplements for solid food. The intake of water is maximized during this plan and the required nutrients are supplied using juices and no sugar protein shakes. The advantage of the liquid plans are mostly seen on patients who have alcohol as part of their daily routine. The intake of large quantities of water helps flush toxins from the body and warm water intakes help with weight loss. This program is usually combined with physical exercise for most effective results.
- Easy meal plan – This is a diet plan which focuses on the quantity of food intake in each meal by the patient. It encourages patient to eat a small quantity of all types of food groups including fatty food. They concentrate on reducing the quantity and increasing the number of meals. The meals are more frequent and include a balanced meal but in reduced quantity i.e. if a person had two bread slices for breakfast, the plan suggests to have one bread slice along with a fruit and glass of toned milk.
It is important to have a healthy body to have a healthy mind and thus, weight loss programs help a lot towards achieving the goal. Obese and overweight individuals become the victim of so many untoward incidents which result in depression and suicides. Thus, it is always advisable to start investing on maintaining a healthy body before any health issue hits. Similarly, weight loss programs can be followed by normal individuals to keep themselves active and fit.
Hope the above meal plans can help you achieve better weight loss. Have a good day!